About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Passage to Amritsar – My Jab We Met!

This is the most interesting incident of my life. It has been 9 years, I have never travelled in a train. What have been the reason, maybe I have travelled more internationally until 2006 and then working for corporate sector kept me hooked with more of project deadlines. As a result, I never got a chance to take long breaks and travel in a train. Honestly, I have no clue how to reserve a train ticket also. I am so bad at rail reservations. How can I say that?
I am the best person to write around this. I got my tickets done for Amritsar on 30th September, 2011. Like always our tickets were not confirmed and till the day we were supposed to board, our tickets were not confirmed. The last message that I heard before leaving for New Delhi Station was – The chart is prepared and your are in the waitlist on numbers – 2,3 and 4. In short, our trip has to be cancelled as there was no scope that we can board this train. Though my cab was waiting down as I was sure no matter what happen, one last try, I will visit the station and try to convince the TT. So like always being highly positive we reached the station. The train was right in front of me with the charts that do not have our names. LOLJ
For a second, I felt there is no hope that I can reach Amritsar but then let me try. I went to the TT room and asked my parents to wait till I come back. There were 4 TTs in the room and my request did not fell on their ears. One asked me to talk to the other and like that I spoke to all 4 of them but I FAILED. A BIG NO.
My mind was not responding and we were left with 4 minutes before the train leaves the station for Amritsar. My heart was beating fast as I could see how hard journey I had from Hyderabad to Delhi just to visit Golden temple. But things were not in my favour. Finally, just 2 minutes left and I do not what came to my mind and I threw my luggage into the train and just boarded.  I asked my parents to board and that I will manage. Actually, there was no plan in my mind until I saw an attendant staring at me and I thought he is my jack for the day. If I play him right we will get the seats. BINGO!
It worked. I requested him and he said – “Mam, you can sit and we will manage”. Manage means ‘some’ money here and there. It worked and we reached Amritsar. I know what I did was not ethical but there was no other way out. I just know one thing – I know what I want and it depends how I get it too. But for me it matters that I HAVE TO GET WHAT I WANT!!
I had two great days at Amritsar with loads of fun and travel.
Thanks Babaji…my train journey was so much like Jab We Met.!
I have uploaded all the pics on my Fb for my FB friends...I am tired and tomorrow have to wake up early to burn all the extra calories:)
Gud nite!