About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Sunday, December 9, 2012

I am 5th!!

There was a story contest in which all the authors of JFE participated. I have stood fifth in that contest. I feel 'good', but at the same time 'bad'.

My contribution to the 'story contest' was sent via my FB account. Once you delete the account, everything vanishes. Due to this deletion, my story could not be rated by few members of the group,  as they kept searching for my contest entry. Now, when I am back in the group and results are declared, I lost the third or fourth position, as my contest entry could not be judged by two other members. I have learned a lesson!

But if I look at the best part of it, as an Indian, I could grab the fifth position. I was the only one with a non-fiction entry. Writing reality vs fantasy is a challenge in itself. I promised myself, to do much better next time.

I watched Life of Pi, and a poem that reminds me of the word, 'survival'.

The Will To Survive by By Rosemarie E. Bishop 

Reaching, stretching towards the sun,
the weed thinks its the only one

 that feels the need to exist and go on
even though the world around it has changed
between the destruction of cities
where all that remains
are the piles of rubble, concrete and beams,
and the air that's so much sweeter and clean.

 Reaching, stretching towards the sky,
without the sense to question why

 it has to survive and continue to grow
when its tired and beaten,
ripped and torn,
not knowing or caring when or if
it was born, like the other trees
standing close by,
all doing their best to touch the sky.

 Reaching, stretching towards the light,
the rose just won't give up the fight

 to bloom just once, maybe more,
so God and man can be graced
with its form and beauty,
and calmed by its scent,
none of which would ever have been
without the intervention of both.


By Rosemarie E. Bishop