About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Restart Theory...

My mother's dad was an ordinary man. He was not a rich father and worked in a clerical division of a government body. But he was a man who was rich in his values and principles. My mother always called me as his daughter. She believed that my facial feature, honesty in my eyes, and my values are inherited by him.
 
In my childhood, I used to often stay at my grandparent's home. The mango trees in the backyard and gobi parathas are still fresh in my mind. At times, I used to ask my grandfather a question - 'Can we start our life again?'
 
He used to laugh followed by his determinant answer - "YES". I was always made to close my eyes and then he would place a fruit on the floor (he had no money to buy a table). In my first turn, it used be an apple. Second time he would replace apple with an orange. Third time a carrot and so on.....
 
Years passed by and the game continued until I realised that each time he was changing the fruit. I got upset and fought with him. He was still polite, and explained to me his strategy to teach me - how to start your life again. He changed the fruit (assuming it as a situation). In simple words, he meant if I cannot change the situation, I can always replace it with a better situation. Apple cannot be an orange but we can always replace apple with an orange. Changing to a better situation is not escaping but finding a solution to a problem that cannot be resolved. Every problem does not have a solution.
 
Today, when I was upset with myself, I thought to restart. It takes time to replace situations in life but it is not impossible. At times, we kick ourselves out of other's life as we know we might make their lives miserable with our journey of pain. At times, we prefer to lose rather than to cling to spoil or mess up lives.
 
30 sun salutation, 6 kms walk, light meals, 2 kms of swimming, and a new start. Change the word 'restart' to 'a new start'. You do not need money to be rich. All you need is patience, contentment and love to sacrifice in life. It is your values that make you rich not the wealth. It takes time but soon people will understand your actions. If they do not understand - just replace apple with an orange <3
 
:)