About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, August 5, 2011

Are you Ready for Friendship Day? - History of Friendship Day!

We are just two days far from Friendship Day so forget about your enemies and just think about your friends. Friends, who give you a meaning to live, who are there to hold you when you fall and to take you home when you are drunkJ. Ironically, to what I write I love my enemies more than my friends as they gave me the real understanding about the word ‘friend’. They have eased the task for me to decide who my real friends are and who fake ones are.

This post is incomplete if I do not thank people who stood against me. I salute my enemies and their hatred for meJ. It is right in my case when you make ten enemies then only you make one true friend. I have more enemies than friends but I have more true friends than just friends.

I just have one request forget the word 'enmity' in life as “Life is too small to love then why to find time to hate and hurt others”. Join hands and make friends as friendship is not just a word but much more than that.

As I posted in my post on 2 August, 2011 my friends are my family so I wish all my friends a very happy Friendship Day. Indeed to all my readers and web editors who read and publish my stories. Thanks!

Now we all wish Friendship Day but have you realised how many of us know about the origin and history of Friendship Day?...No Problems...I will share with all of you here in this post.

History of Friendship Day

Considering the valuable role friends play in our life it was deemed to fit to have a day dedicated to friends and friendship. The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event. The noble idea of honouring the beautiful relationship of friendship caught on with the people and soon Friendship Day became a hugely popular festival.

Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends. Today, Friendship Day is enthusiastically celebrated by several countries across the world including India.

In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie - the Pooh as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.

Special performances by rock bands are also organized in countries like the US to enhance the jubilations.

Friendship Day with different customs, by giving the festival different names and holding it in times unlike that of the actual festival. For example, National Friendship Day is held on the first Sunday in August; Women’s Friendship Day is on the third Sunday in August; the third week of May is the old friends, New Friends Week and the whole of February is designated as the International Friendship Month. These days, Friendship Day is celebrated with a lot of funfare and great expenses. Just as in US and several other countries, the festival has been greatly commercialized. Days before the festival, card and gift companies launch an extensive campaign to lure people into buying cards and gift items for their friends.

ARE YOU STILL THINKING...GO GET THE CARDS AND GIFTS FOR YOUR FRIENDS...

Amilo TuttiJ