About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, May 4, 2012

My Cabbie's Message For Us: Realize Your Dreams:)


I love people who teach me something about life. No matter the Call Center Executive at a Cab Office, my housekeeping lady or the cabbie that drops me homeJ. I LOVE ALL OF THEM. Life for me is just loving and loving people who live with high spirits and right attitudeJ. They give me positive vibes.

It is a strange thing when you board a cab and the driver asks you about the book in your hand. I am reading ‘The Alchemist’, these days. There is something about the book that keeps you bound to read. The basic but the biggest thought – Realize Your Dreams.

The cabbie was quite affluent in English and the way he inquired about the book, I took time to relate everything. Before, I could utter something, he said, “Wow, you are reading, ‘The Alchemist’. It is a nice book by Paulo Coelho.”

My eyeballs were rotating like a pendulum, listening to his Americanised accent. I have never met such a cabbie in last two years in Hyderabad. A nice ironed, linen lemon shirt with a black trouser and hair all set with a gel. There was nothing not to notice him. Indeed, I actually noticed him. His voice was like droplets of water and each word was like a musical note.

I felt to listen and just listen to him, when I realised he asked me a question, a same question for the third time, “Where is your drop, ma’am?”

I answered him followed by my question, “Why do you drive a cab, when you can do something better than this. I mean, I appreciate your communication skills, client handling and your presentation of yourself. It seems, this is not your only work.”

He took a look at me and smiled. He shrugged saying, “I am like one of you. I work for a call center at night catering to US outbound calls and I drive a cab in the day. I lost my father when I was 12 and life was like a tough journey for me with 3 younger sisters. I had to fund my education as well. So, beggars are not choosers and I decided to do two jobs to support and sustain myself. It is true; I hardly get time to sleep, maybe just 4 hours a day. But life demands and I have to serve. BTW, this book is about realizing your dreams. If you take challenges of life as dreams, your tough journey is like a smooth road to your goals.”

I was speechless and thoughtless. I was trying to figure out, is he happy or making me feel better by explaining handle challenges as your dreams. Whatever, it was a pleasure meeting an industrious, young gentleman who funds his education and supports his family. He has no time to sleep but he gave me a good reason to be happy and sleep well, tonight.

With due respect to him, I post a saying –


Life in itself is an empty canvas, it becomes whatsoever you paint on it. You can paint misery, you can paint bliss. This freedom is your glory.


~Osho, Indian Spiritual Teacher

This blog is about living. I want my readers should live the way I wanted or I want but could not. But the cabbie and the above saying gave my infinite reasons to live and live to the fullest. I will paint my canvas of life with all the colours possible in this lifetime. Just close and think for once in context to this post – ‘So You Think You Are Living’..;!!

Buona Notte!