About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Learn From Mistakes

When I was six, my father used to tell this short story. Being so young and then moving to teens, I was never bothered how valuable it would have been in the coming years. Today, when I am left with little to live I remember this and personally feel that this needs to be shared on my blog. Thanks papa for all this, although I am late to convey my thanks.

Edison tried two thousand different materials in search of a filament for the light bulb. When none worked satisfactorily, his assistant complained, "All our work is in vain. We have learned nothing."

Edison replied very confidently, "Oh, we have come a long way and we have learned a lot. We now that there are two thousand elements which we cannot use to make a good light bulb."
I realised that if we do not learn from our mistakes at the right time we tend to repeat them that make us vulnerable. Again it depends how we perceive a situation and we learn from it. Just give a thought in the above text. The assistant perceived a negative learning from the entire task whereas Edison was too optimistic towards the whole process and his learning.
This post might trigger the confidence of those who could not gather the courage to learn at the right time. It is never too late to learn and restart rather not to learn from mistakes.