About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapter 1 - You Need To Read About Aruna!

I am so busy with things that I am just not aware when the day starts and when it ends. But there is one thing that keeps bothering me, I have to write about Aruna.

Why Aruna? Who Aruna?
Lots of reasons to write about Aruna but the biggest is that even after her plea is rejected and this has been one of the major news until March 8th 2011, still many people around me do not know what is it all about? Sad!
She was like one of us and we need to know about her. She is being a part of our country and one example to tell that we as women are not safe in our own home. I do not want to make it a story or a chapter for my readers but I want you all to know who Aruna was and who Aruna is now?

We as citizens of India need to give a better place indeed a safe home to our daughters, sisters, wives and mothers. Aruna is fighting with her tragedy for last 37 YEARS. Sad!



I have complete faith in our judiciary and I respect the decision to cancel her plea but I have one thought that I will post in the last that is 3rd chapter dedicated to Aruna.
I think keep your fiction books aside for a week and grab ‘Aruna’s story’ written by Pinki Virani to know about Aruna. I could not find this book in Hyderabad. But last night, I made the last effort that helped me to get the book. Trust me it is hard to read as it is a real story of a woman who is paying price of being a woman. Sad!
I have promised myself, I will not cry while reading this book as the comments by many readers (online available) tell me that they could not complete the book as either they cried or could not gather courage to read what someone is going through for the last 37 years.
Who was Aruna until 27th Novemeber 1973?
Aruna Shanbaug was working as a nurse at Mumbai's KEM Hospital. She was like any girl who would be dreaming of a new life both professionally and personally. Someone at this age looks herself as a professionally independent woman who has desires to get married maybe to her love and have kids. I hope all my women readers can feel he pleasantness of marriage and motherhood. These are the two dreams of any Indian women.
What happened on 27th Novemeber 1973 and where is Aruna now?
Aruna Shanbaug was working as a nurse at Mumbai's KEM Hospital when on the night of November 27, 1973, Sohanlal Bhartha Walmiki, a ward boy at the hospital, attacked and sodomised her in the hospital basement. The attack left her cortically blind, that means she can see, but her brain does not register the sight. The convicted ward boy was let off after seven years of imprisonment. 


As Anuradha Raman notes in a moving article, aptly titled Comma, Period? in Outlook (28-2-11), in a room strictly off bounds for all except those attending on her, Aruna Ramachandra Shanbaug, now 60, lies alone. Her eyes are open and staring vacantly into space. She has been lying in this vegetative way, in the twilight zone between life and death, since the night of November 27, 1973, when she was attacked by a ward boy who tied a dog chain around her neck, cutting off air supply to parts of her brain, and sodomised her in the basement of Mumbai’s sprawling King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital, Parel, where she worked as a nurse. It is said that due to strangulation by the chain, the cortex was damaged and she also had brain stem contusion injury associated with cervical cord injury. Aruna is unable to speak, see, walk or even move voluntarily, though she could still feel the pain. She has been lying in this state with twisted form, rotting teeth and nails growing into her clenched palms, kept alive by mashed food which she automatically swallows.
What is vegetative state?
To know more about ‘vegetative state’ click the link – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_vegetative_state
I could not write more for today. I have taken lot of content with the help of my search around articles that published around her Mercy Killing Plea put forward by her friend and journalist ‘Pinki Virani’. I will post about Pinki and her efforts for Aruna’s plea in the second chapter. Though we all know that the plea is rejected but the third chapter would be around the plea only.
I am overwhelmed so I cannot write more ...................................Few lines
When life is woe,
And hope is dumb,
The World says, “Go!”
The Grave says, “Come!”
-Arthur Guiterman.

Life, which all creatures love and strive to keep
Wonderful, dear and pleasant unto each,
Even to the meanest; yea, a boon to all.
 - Edwin Arnold

 
Questions to all of my readers –
Just seven years of imprisonment for ruining someone’s whole life is enough?
Is this just sexual attack?
THINK!!