About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Monday, August 29, 2011

The World is Against Me

I am happy that August is endingJ

It is my favourite month but this time I am fed up of this month. More than me, maybe my husbandJ

We have done only one thing great going to doctors and doctors and just doctors. Though I will remember my 31st birthday as my husband took me for Salsa Night and I met my Salsa Instructor there.  I love that moment when you dance with your partner and you are not dressed in the right attire and still your teacher appreciates and encourages you.

The email of my brother Valerio and a call of Srikanth at sharp 12 AM made me feel so special. But the reality is that I kicked off my day at a hospital and I am still going rounds and rounds and roundsJ.

Honestly, I am not fed up but exasperated. In the whole of this I got a great compliment when my husband said “I appreciate your patience, Archana. God has crossed my patience but do not know how you are dealing with so many problems and pains. I just wish this is your last problem for the year. I admire you for your strength and patience that maybe you developed over years facing so many problems. But I am broken this time.”

I wanted to say and tell him, indeed my parents, that I am broken too. Indeed, I feel to run away to some place where there are no hospitals and doctors for a while but I cannot run away from my body and the problem is me to myselfJ. I have to fight and be patient as that will only helpJ. Crying and Cribbing over problems is no solution to any problem. But I preferred to stay silent as I know my husband can read what I wanted to sayJ.

It seems the whole universe is against me. But then I read this poem and I feel so much good. I feel positive and I am sure God is watching me. He can only give us pain as much as we can bearJ. I share the poem below that made me fall in love with my problems. I am going to fight till I win. I can relate this poem to the current situation of India as well. Anna Hazare is a good example as he has changed the direction of the winds to storm the country with Anti Corruption Drive.

The world is against me," he said with a sigh.
"Somebody stops every scheme that I try.
The world has me down and it's keeping me there;
I don't get a chance. Oh, the world is unfair!
When a fellow is poor then he can't get a show;
The world is determined to keep him down low."

"What of Abe Lincoln?" I asked. "Would you say
That he was much richer than you are to-day?
He hadn't your chance of making his mark,
And his outlook was often exceedingly dark;
Yet he clung to his purpose with courage most grim
And he got to the top. Was the world against him?

"What of Ben Franklin? I've oft heard it said
That many a time he went hungry to bed.
He started with nothing but courage to climb,
But patiently struggled and waited his time.
He dangled awhile from real poverty's limb,
Yet he got to the top. Was the world against him?

"I could name you a dozen, yes, hundreds, I guess,
Of poor boys who've patiently climbed to success;
All boys who were down and who struggled alone,
Who'd have thought themselves rich if your fortune they'd known;
Yet they rose in the world you're so quick to condemn,
And I'm asking you now, was the world against them?"

BY Edgar A. Guest