About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How I Learned To Kick?


I had a day off and tomorrow will be lot of fun. I am cancelling my classes and planning to go for shopping for Navratri. We have Dandiya night coming soon and like last year, I want to wear a nice hot ghagra-choli to impress myself. Then I have my kickboxing class and gym workouts. Friday is my day to practice belly dancing.

So no to swimming for a whileJ

My trainer always motivates me to kick harder as my upper body strength needs to be improved. Last session he asked what drives me to kick and I smiled. He was very strict and throwing the kick pads aside, he said, “You can never learn like this. There is no aggression and focus when you hit the pad or kick it”.

Honestly, I felt bad but he was true. I tried again and still failed.

He said one thing which touched my heart –
“Archana, remember all those kicks that you faced in life by people and then saving yourself kick them back. Kick it harder as hard as you can. Think if you do not kick, you are dead. It is DO or DIE and it should be a strong kick to a man from a man.”

I took off my bracelet and watch, closed my eyes, thought of all the betrayals and sorrows, I have gone through. I thought of all those moments where people had hit me for no reason. All those moments where I was right but still I was punished. All those happy moments that people turned into unhappy memories and I kicked for the first time like a man. For a while my wrist and knee was in pain but it started responding to the techniques as my mind was stronger now. I have realised that all my wounds were coming out in my kicks and I could do 300 kicks with my trainer.

While coming home, I read a very interesting poem of a fighter that is so close to my situation as my fight is with myself, to prove myself to me in life and bravely go ahead with all the courage and strength so that I can face that Archana with proud in the glass. Kickboxing is hard for me but I am not going to give up as the poem below is my inspirationJ

From those delicate hands that used to cook food or rehearse Kathak have become stronger to hit and kick.

I fight a battle every day
Against discouragement and fear;
Some foe stands always in my way,
The path ahead is never clear!
I must forever be on guard
Against the doubts that skulk along;
I get ahead by fighting hard,
But fighting keeps my spirit strong.



I hear the croakings of Despair,
The dark predictions of the weak;
I find myself pursued by Care,
No matter what the end I seek;
My victories are small and few,
It matters not how hard I strive;
Each day the fight begins anew,
But fighting keeps my hopes alive.

My dreams are spoiled by circumstance,
My plans are wrecked by Fate or Luck;
Some hour, perhaps, will bring my chance,
But that great hour has never struck;
My progress has been slow and hard,
I've had to climb and crawl and swim,
Fighting for every stubborn yard,
But I have kept in fighting trim.

I have to fight my doubts away,
And be on guard against my fears;
The feeble croaking of Dismay
Has been familiar through the years;
My dearest plans keep going wrong,
Events combine to thwart my will,
But fighting keeps my spirit strong,

And I am undefeated still!


Live Like This Else There Is No Use Of Living that is what I have learned in LIFE.

Cheerio:)