About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quotes by Rumi - Answers to my Questions

I am very fond of Persian language and the reason to be associated with this language is my favourite writer/poet/author Rumi (Jalāl ad-Dīn Muammad Balkhī).

I collected his Persian writings and then the English translations long time back. I have saved most of his quotes in my personal diary as an answer to lot of my questions. There are many questions that nobody can answer for us. But these quotes from people who inspire us leave an answer for us. I never thought to type and save his writings that I photocopied during my college days. The reason being, I appreciate the paper touch more than the new inventions – ereader.

His quotes have always given me a direction when I am lost or puzzled with my own questions.

I am sharing some of my favourite quotes written by great Rumi. Some are love quotes, some are soul quotes but each one of them is an answer to one of my question.

·         “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

·         “The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”

·         “When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.

·         Praise God for those two insomnias!
And the difference between them.”

·         “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”

·         “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

·         “Oh soul,
you worry too much.
You have seen your own strength.
You have seen your own beauty.
You have seen your golden wings.
Of anything less,
why do you worry?
You are in truth
the soul, of the soul, of the soul.”

·          “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”

·         “Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”

·         “You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life?”

·         “Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.”

·         “All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

·         “I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?”

·         Why do you stay in prison
when the door is so wide open?

·         Move outside the tangle of fear-thinking.
Live in silence.”

·         “Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.”

Maybe someone somewhere who is looking for the answers for his or her questions can relate to this post. I have many more from my library to be shared. Coming soon.......

Good Night!