About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Saturday, March 10, 2012

4 Years : Happy Resignation Day

Happy Resignation Day for me...After 4 Years !

I am happy to get my contact cards printed – Freelance Content Writer. Finally!

10th March of every year is a ‘Happy Resignation Day’ for me. I resigned from my job in 2008 on the same day. I still remember how I felt. There was confusion and a big question what next. Where will life go from here?

Sitting outside the premises of my office in 2008 and waiting for husband to pick me (you are debarred of all cab services once you resign or quit); there was a small tear in my eye that maybe overshadowed the hidden dreams.

Next day of resignation was like your hands are chopped and you are asked to swimJ

The worst feeling is when you surrender your ID card and contact cards to the company. Where there was time you use your contact card to introduce yourself and then life shows you a twist where you have to surrender your identity. I felt completely strangulated!

But days passed sometimes for good and many times for bad. Then my medical condition worsened that definitely affected me psychologically as well. But 2010, I pulled up my socks and decided I will and have to chalk a way to find my existence.

Somehow, things started falling into place and this blog happened. From 200 readers to 10,000+ was a good inspiration for me to write. It opened doors for me to write for other websites and then magazines. From article writing to print media, I never looked back as far as work is concerned.

After 4 years, my husband gifted me a pack of my contact cards – Freelance Content Writer and that is the best gift that I could have got!

The contact card with my name on it is my identity and somewhere I never worked for money. There are two kinds of people – one who work for themselves and rest mainly work for others. When you work for yourself, challenges and hurdles are more. You have to be ready for ‘NO’ all the time and if you get discouraged, you lose the battle in one go. There is no appraisal for you or feedback. You are either liked or disliked.

But the challenge is to change that ‘No’ into a ‘Yes’. That is the whole game when you work for yourself.

It is still Women’s month and I have written for all such women who think sitting at home, you are not doing anything. You have lot of options, all you need is to explore and listen to your heart. If my knee pain goes away, I know I can touch the sky but ‘sky is not the only limit’. If you cannot touch sky, you can always try to fly.

I make paintings that will be part of my book, if things go well with me. The painting you see in this post is dedicated to my resignation day. The abstract waves are challenges that I faced and the dark night sea resemble the dark days I faced. This painting is an abstract one that portrays my thoughts that once I felt but left behind!