About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, March 7, 2014

Happy International Women's Day 2014

We are just a day away from International women's Day, and my poem is published for my readers in my column of FG. - http://www.fridaygurgaon.com/news/4598-I-Will-Be-A-Survivor.html

I have a lump in my breast
And it hurts when I touch it
I experience needle-stabbing pains 
And diaphragmatic breathing gives no relief
I lie awake at night 
With negative thoughts gnawing at my mind
Deep inside my heart
I struggle to answer my own question
And the answer is deliberately vague…
I still do not believe in fate.

My life is changing
Each hour brings a new challenge
Some days are uplifting
But my smile is always missing
I am struggling in my battle with pain
The see-saws between hope and fear
I am just tired of depression…
In that corner of the room
I sit in my rocking chair
And I think about my future.

I am living one day after another
I have some unfulfilled dreams in my heart
Cancer does not define me
But chemotherapy seems never ending
It makes me feel feeble
It causes severe body aches
My hands shake all the time
And my heart sinks into my chest
I embrace the rosary in my bag
As I have not lost my faith in God.

Daffodils are blooming in my garden,
At this time of year
The countryside is so lush and green
I can see a butterfly with one wing
Leaning against the wall
But the butterfly doesn’t give up…
And this is when the feeling sinks in
I am ready to fight another battle
Tears rolling down my cheeks
I give myself a smile.

I am comfortable flaunting my bald head
And I welcome a new day in life
When negativity surrounds me
I keep my spirits high
When I am in pain
I find reasons to stay happy
I don’t feel beautiful anymore
And people do not notice me as well
But I am fighting breast cancer
And I will be a survivor.

This poem is inspired by a true life story of my friend.  Also to an extent, I can very well relate to this poem. I will suggest all my women readers to read this poem. Be strong in life, stand for your rights and do not compromise when it comes to your self-respect. A woman is no less than a man indeed we are blessed to be addressed as mother. Once a friend told me a line that still lives with me - a mother is a mother whether biological or sponsored.  A woman is a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, a grandmother and she plays all these roles to her best. Stay blessed. Read the link to my poem.