About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, December 2, 2011

World Aids Day 2011!

World AIDS Day, observed December 1 every year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection. World AIDS Day was first conceived in August 1987 by James W. Bunn and Thomas Netter, two public information officers for the Global Programme on AIDS at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

I could not write around this as I am little overwhelmed to share my thoughts around AIDS. Why??

An emotional factor involved behind my resistance is that my sponsored daughter lost both her parents due to AIDS.

She was checked last year as she was not keeping well and by grace of God she is negative. I know how hard it was for me to convince my people that I want to be associated with her as they all had questions -“you do not know??...maybe??..ifs?? and so many buts.......”.

But today my people and my friends stand with me and appreciate all that little I do for her. Indeed, they all are more involved than me. I see my husband and friends hugging and loving her more than I do.

She lost her parents and many have lost their lives or families. AIDS is dreadful. Spreading knowledge and awareness is not enough. What really requires is our participation in taking this knowledge to those areas where is yet to be received. Dedicate a day of a year to do something for those who are caught by the monster called ‘AIDS’. You can do a lot just by wishing people around you – “World Aids Day”, trust me it will spread like a fire...........

I appreciate all such forums that are making people aware about AIDS.