About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homework for My Readers: Contd.......

If you were lazy to look for the explication of the below poem – (click the link to my previous post), I am sharing a link that I could find best for my readers.


As I said this poem is related to my childhood, I thought to scan my explication of this poem. But then I felt that my old gold days are better if they are only with me in my diary for myself. They are like my memories of myself during my journey of life. I searched couple of links and the link below is best among them.


To make it easy, I am putting few lines from the same link.

“For Frost, this is a metaphor for life in this world. Most of existence is beyond our understanding, but on occasion, and for only a brief moment, a truth is revealed. What is seen or learned is sometimes called an insight and the moment itself is known as an epiphany. The white piece of quartz, which blurred and disappeared from view almost immediately because of the rippling water, is used by Frost to metaphorically represent an insight or truth about life. The singularity and brevity of the moment becomes a metaphor for all such moments of understanding in life. The title of the poem, then, communicates a kind of exasperation with these moments: “For Once, Then, Something,” which roughly becomes “Then, finally, I saw something and then it was gone.”

                            Frost saw this event as emblematic of life in general. The event was finding a well and peering into the water in order to see his reflection. The something white, perhaps a piece of quartz, becomes a metaphor for truth, or the moment of insight in life. The idea that grows seamlessly from the metaphor is that these moments are rare and frustrating. For a brief moment we think we understand one of the fundamental truths of life and then it is gone and we devolve back into our more normal state of confusion."
Buona Notte:)