About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Monday, August 27, 2012

A Quote: My Real Life Around This!!


I start this post with a quote and why?

You have to read this post around my real life accident that changed many things in my life.

Ajuda-nos a compreender que o medo do sofrimento é pior do que o sofrimento em si

Help us to understand that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself!!

Sept 2006, Bal Nagar Flyover, Hyderabad:

It was a usual day, when I got into my office bus and met my gang of friends. The bus started and we all were chatting like always. From politics to films, what all we wanted to discuss, the forum was openJ.

I was the one who was sitting in the right posture and position, when the bus went over the flyover and hit the railing on the left side. Unfortunately, I was sitting on the same side of the bus and just could not realised, what has happened?

Before I could respond to the situation, my hand got stuck between the two front seats as I fell down. I suffered from finger ligament injury for my middle and ring finger of my right hand. I landed to PIVD (that I do not intend to discuss in this post).

From September 2006 to April 2007, I was either on pain relieving sprays or splinting treatment that worsened my condition as my fingers got completely immobile. My performance at work was affected and my household work (from cooking to bathing) was into mess.

We showed to a number of doctors in Hyderabad and Delhi but all gave negative remarks like ‘there is no treatment’, ‘you have to live with it’ or ‘it may be fine with time or may be not’.

Phew!

I know, how hard it was for me to live with two fingers of my right hand bent in a right angle position and if something used to hit me, it was like, ‘I used to yell, OMG!!!!’....

But there was a hope that a day will come and my hand will be fine. I will be able to work like always. Then a day came, when I met my present orthopaedic in Hyderabad and he suggested a treatment with a positive attitude that in four months, I will be able to write and use my hand, like always.

Lol, treatment was more difficult than to bear the pain. The first day, when I entered the ‘Rehabilitation Ward’, I was like very happy. I thought, it would be something like ultrasuoni or TENS or IFT until I was taken to a big tub or I must say a tank of capacity of 20 litres of molten wax called as ‘Paraffin Wax Treatment’. Trust me this was not as easy as your paraffin wax salon and spa services.

My hand used to be forcibly dipped into the big container containing hot wax to get a thick coating over my fingers. It was hard to bear during hot summers and heat of Hyderabad. The worst part starts after the wax coating, when they used to lift my bent fingers with a wooden stick and erect them, until I shout or cry or give up!

From two weeks to two months, my finger showed little results. I did not stop crying for four months during the treatment. It used to be breath in - breathe out while the procedure was being done on me. BUT I DID NOT STOP THE TREATMENT. I accepted all the pains as I wanted my hand to be at least normal. I will not say that my finger is perfectly fine but I can type better now. Though, my typing speed has definitely reduced.

I used to go to my office after the treatment with my burnt and baked fingers as ‘life should not stop’!

There was just one thing (a quote) that I can relate to my courage to go through this treatment and get back to my normal life. A quote, that drives me ‘not to give up’ at any time, being in any situation. A quote, I read every morning, before I start my day with pain in my jointsJ.

Ajuda-nos a compreender que o medo do sofrimento é pior do que o sofrimento em si

Help us to understand that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself!!
Happy Week!!