About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, May 31, 2013

My First Marriage Proposal:)

My first marriage proposal was from my father's best friend's son. His son was a doctor in Dubai and my father's friend wanted him to get married to me. I was hardly 19, when I met him. My parents lied to me as they knew I would never marry at such a young age. I was told we are invited for the dinner at his place. The funny part was when we met he asked me a question, "what are your future plans?"

I thought it was a casual question as I had no clue about the entire meeting. Out of my innocence, I answered, "I will complete my graduation. Work for a year. Then get married and have four children."

The guy frowned and smiled at me. He turned to his right side and again smiled at me. He said politely, "Is this your career plan? Btw, why four children?"

Out of my naivety, I answered, "Yes, this is my career plan. Study, work and marry. Four children means it completes all the relations for siblings. Two brothers and two sisters mean a complete family forever."

When we reached home, my mother asked me about my opinion. I was confused as I never knew it was a marriage proposal, until a week later, when my parents disclosed the guy's response as a "yes".

And I was very sure, I am not going to marry at the age of 19. I took the whole house round and round with my questions and arguments. 

It was a funny incident, and I was thinking about my being so naive and stupid while answering his questions. I actually wonder what made him say 'yes' to my naivety.

Anyways, I guess some memories make us realise that with time and situations we change a lot. Maybe, I have also changed. Just think of any one such instance and laugh it off.

Happy weekend!