About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Friday, February 17, 2012

Thermometer is OUT OF STOCK - Apollo Jubilee Hills!


I know how bad my condition is now but still I will post this.

I am down with fever for last 3 days. Today, my body got completely stiff with acute needle pains in my joints. My body temperature went up to 102.1 F when my husband rushed to Apollo Hospital at Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad.

They took me to Emergency room and the nurse was asking me questions to identify the problem. She was very lazy and lost in her own world. The question she asked was why did you come to emergency room, why not OPD.

We answered, ‘we are not aware of any OPD General Physician. The moment we enter the hospital, the reception guided us to Emergency Room.’

 She said she will check the vital stats like BP and pulse rate. She did it and everything was normal. I was just not in a position to sit or stand as I had so severe joint pains in my body.

I asked her you will not check my fever. I meant my body temperature. To which she answered –

‘WE DO NOT HAVE A THERMOMETER IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM. WE HAVE SENT THE REQUEST TO PROCUREMENT DIVISION’.

My husband was so angry that he told her we will raise a complaint to which she said – ‘please sir, this will help us to’.

She guided us to go to OPD physician. But we chose to meet ENT first as my throat and cough was a reason of fever. The shocking thing is that even ENT at Apollo Jubilee Hills had no thermometer in his room. He said – ‘Throat is fine please take her to General Physician on a wheelchair as I was not able to walk.’

 Wonder to share that wheelchair was no where present and there was no one to guide for the same.

Finally, we reached the General Physician’ room and here also he had no thermometer. I am prescribed medicines that have helped me to feel little better for now without checking the fever stats as there was no thermometer with the physician also.

 The physician said – ‘I will take her to Treatment Room, where they have a thermometer’. I dragged myself to another room and the nurse told the doctor – ‘SIR, THERMOMETER IS OUT OF STOCK’.

It is a shameful instance on behalf of a hospital that claims to be the best in Hyderabad. Though, Apollo Hospitals has a good rapport but this one instance has raised questions about negligence and inefficiency of hospital staff.

My husband took the Medical Supervisor’s contact number to call and update him. The supervisor advised us that we should have asked for a disposable thermometer that can be purchased from the hospital. We had no issues in buying the thermometer but this was never told to us and as such also when the patient is not able to walk he should first go and buy things to get treated. I guess we went to a hospital not a hotel.

I am shocked and this is a tragedy of a city like Hyderabad. If you have no reference you are not treated but ill-treated(: