About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Why to Discriminate?

I experienced the worst thing of my life. For the first time, I felt as if I wasted so many years in explaining my people and friends not to divide our country into pieces. Where I cleared my license test, I failed in keeping my promise. I never used such a dirty abusive language but situation demanded me to voice out. I had no choice but to shout and stand for my rights and many other people mainly women. Being fair could be a reason of discrimination. If you do not speak regional language, you are insulted for being of the same nationality. Strange, I revisited all bad memories of few months back. You have to change to tell, I am not born to be slaughtered or called names. I am educated and one of you. Let me live with respect. If you are a woman, stand for your rights and voice out the discrimination on the basis of sex, colour, caste or language. I did and have no regrets. I would not let people call me names as I do not disrespect anyone. But yes, I will definitely voice out if others call me names. A poem for a bad day but a positive learning.

Racism a nasty word
that conjures thoughts
of oppressive deeds
made by man because
of creed.
Discrimination another one
that binds our minds
and sharpens tongues
because of some elitist thought
that's unjust and plainly wrong.
Fighting wars because of God?
Trampling on the underdog.
But we have legislation
to banish discrimination.
'Equal opportunity'
is the current phrase; our incantation.

The rules and laws
are needed where
some of us would dare
to think in ways that denigrate
others on this Earth; our place.
Racism? There is just one human race
no matter what form the face.
And discrimination
a faculty we all posses
to separate what's bad from best.
Discrimination would be good
if it were used for what it does;
revealing what unites ALL of us.

By
David Taylor