About Me

My photo
Archana Kapoor Nagpal is an internationally published author of four books. She often participates in the short story competitions, and her winning stories are now part of international anthologies. She has seen her short stories, poems and Haiku published in other anthologies as well She has also been actively involved in the editing, proofreading and book designing of various anthologies. You can read more about her writing career at the below link: https://www.facebook.com/archanaknagpal/

Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Mirror ......

Lol...it is funny but I still remember one thing about my childhood. I used to stammer at words that you used to start with M,P, K, Q. To save myself from embarrassment, I used to break the sentences and speak in reverse order like..."ho theek" rather than "theek ho" or "hua kyun" rather than " kyun hua".

Then one fine day, I met a guy in my school. He asked me why do I speak in reverse order, and avoid to talk to people around me. I shared my feelings about being embarrassed as my family and friends used to make fun of me.

Next day, he got me a small mirror  and asked to pronounce letters where I stammer. I still stammered...but he did not make fun of me. This continued for a week to a month. I improved but still I used to stammer. I left hope but he did not .....

He helped me and stood with me for months to get me out of the fear that I will stammer again..and then after a year, I was confident of myself. One thing he kept telling me - look into the mirror and try to practice on your weaknesses to turn them into your strength. It is not about the fact you stammer but it is about the fact that you take it as your weakness. You are defeated when you take your weakness as a shortcoming rather than your strength.

This is the first part of the story. I will post why I share it on my blog. To be contd.....